In 1977, a band of enthusiastic believers from the First Christian Church in Bell (our present location, est. 1925) began a new ministry in the neighboring city of Bell Gardens. Southland Christian Church was portable, meeting for a time at the Colmar Avenue School (now Cesar Chavez), after that at the Downey Y.M.C.A.. There was an eye toward finding a permanent building in Cerritos.
But the Lord had other plans.
In 1980, with "an offer that could not be refused", a permanent building was made available in Bell Gardens. The Lord had clearly directed the ministry back toward the rapidly shifting demographic of where immigrants from Mexico and Central America were settling. Though English-speaking, Southland's gifting and evangelistic focus with youth, saw a new generation of emerging English-speaking believers born into the ministry.
Over the next twenty years, those kids and teens grew up.
Many churches in the Southeast Cities faltered and closed during those years. The First Christian Church of Bell was one of them. On the cusp of closure, they contacted the ministry that had left them twenty years before.
In 1999, the First Christian Church of Bell graciously passed their larger facilities to Southland Christian Church. An extensive renovation was completed and Southland re-launched February 13, 2000, fifty-one years to the day that those buildings were originally dedicated for Christian purpose. Now, with renewed vision, the Church on the corner of King & Randolph continues with more than ninety years of preaching the gospel to the people of Southeast Los Angeles.